Home The 2014 Plane

The 2014 Plane

If you talk to anyone in the know about aerodynamics, they will tell you that your best bet to improve overall speed is not with the engine but with the planes aerodynamics. To this end the engine was sent to Ly-Con for additional improvements, while Co Crew Chief Mark worked on the planes overall aerodynamics.

Since September 2013 Miss USA has undergone extensive modifications. Co Crew Chief Mark has been working on Miss USA to improve her overall speed. What can you say about a man that undertakes a project to significantly change a Formula 1 plane in one year, when everyone told him he was biting off more than he can chew. Against all odds, and advice, Mark with help from Paul, completed the monumental list of modifications in August 2014, and this year Miss USA is ready to compete with the best.

Congratulations Mark and Paul!    Truly inspirational!

 

The initial work consisted of removal all the outer fabric skin

IMG_0386  IMG_0564

Its a really good job that this work was undertaken. As Mark removed the outer fabric skin, he found oil contamination damage to the fabric, that could have been catastrophic in the next couple of years.

IMG_0437  03 oil contamination

After removing the outer skin, Mark set about the work below:

1. A new vertical stabilizer and rudder made from carbon fiber

IMG_0456 IMG_0562  IMG_0496 IMG_0640

2. A new exterior shell made from carbon fiber

IMG_0479 IMG_0480 IMG_0491 IMG_0471 IMG_0465 IMG_0429 IMG_0556

IMG_0595 IMG_0596

3. A new turtle deck made from carbon fiber

IMG_0518 IMG_0519 IMG_0543 IMG_0538 IMG_0536 IMG_0563 IMG_0569

IMG_0570 IMG_0579 IMG_0607

4. A new canopy to go with the new exterior shell and turtle deck

IMG_0521 IMG_0509 IMG_0510 IMG_0512 IMG_0450 IMG_0576 IMG_0625

IMG_0601

Mark sitting in the plane and Paul working on the new canopy

IMG_0628

 5. Raked the pilots seat to a better position and strengthened the seat position and backrest, and found that the pilots seat struts had not been fully welded as you can see in the last picture

IMG_0506 IMG_0505  IMG_0504 IMG_0503 IMG_0492

6. Install electronic ignition

We decided not to install the electronic ignition as we found that we didn’t get any more power out of it.  And while we planned to fit a starter motor we decided against it as it didn’t fit well either

7. A new wiring harness for the electronics and replaced the two batteries required for the starter with a single smaller and much lighter battery

IMG_0655 IMG_0652 IMG_0651 IMG_0657 IMG_0629 IMG_0523

8. New aluminum cowling sections to go around the existing wings

IMG_0621

9. New carbon fiber top and bottom cowlings with blisters to accommodate the new longer spark plugs

IMG_0637 IMG_0638 IMG_0644(2)

10. Create new plenums to direct the cooling airflow over the cylinder heads more accurately.  About 40% of total drag comes form cooling air so, slowing the air by expanding it in a controlled way and directing it accurately is really important.

Cooling plenum 2 Cooling plenum 1 Cooling plenum 3

11. Added extensions’ to the wing root to reduce drag at the intersection of the wing and fuselage

IMG_0649 IMG_0650 IMG_0625 IMG_0622

12. Modified the exhaust position and exhaust cowling to help cooling air out of the engine bay taking unwanted heat with it.

IMG_0643 IMG_0642

After many months of hard work, long hours in the hangar, epoxy fumes, frustrations and little time with his family Mark with help from Paul started to put Miss USA back together. The New Miss USA is Sleeker, weighs less and we expect significantly faster.

IMG_0666

 

IMG_0667

Miss USA prior to her drive to Reno and having her vinyl’s added

Miss USA All done